Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Technology Resource: Why Netcasting to Teach?

I like this quick and easy overview of podcasting - well, netcasting (?). There are several good ideas for how to use them to teach, and I like the brief explanation of how to "do it yourself." Nice, simple explanation!

http://www.k12handhelds.com/podcasting.php


So, why did I say netcasting?

Ever since Apple started claiming trademark infringement for using the term "podcast," I have heard some interesting discussion about it. Leo Laporte has started using the term "netcast" to refer to all of the shows on the TWiT Netcast Network. Robert Scoble suggests using the terms "audiocast" and "videocast" instead.

I personally have been trying to say "netcast" as a general term, but I like using the other terms to differentiate between the two - because it matters to those of us who only have time to listen or to those of us who like the visual. I listen to audiocasts while I've driving to work, but I can watch videocasts on my home television, so I like to know the difference before I download it.

Of course, it doesn't matter what you call them, they can be a wonderful tool for teaching and library instruction!

So, are any of you using netcasting to teach your users? If so, please tell me all about it!

Courtney

No comments: