Tuesday, February 12, 2008

BAM Challenge: January Review - A Wrinkle in Time

Well, I confess I'm a bit late on my January review for the Book-a-Month Challenge. But, alas, circumstances beyond my control intervened, and I am now catching up.

The January theme was Time for Challenge #1. I chose A Wrinkle in Time by the late Madeleine L'Engle. This is a fiction work aimed at a juvenile audience, but it's certainly a book adults can enjoy as well. I had not read any of her books before this, but I now appreciate the loss that was felt in the world when she passed away last year. She has certainly been added to my list of favorite authors.

*Warning! Spoilers ahead!*

A Wrinkle in Time is a sweet story of courage in the face of evil and fighting for loved ones. Time (and space) travel is possible by traveling through the fifth dimension, which is the wrinkle in time. Meg Murry, her brother, and their friend travel through time and space to save her father from evil. I love that the author had the children work together using their individual gifts to accomplish their mission. I think this can be a great lesson to young people.

Thanks for the challenge! Now, on to the February challenge...

No comments: