Sunday, February 3, 2008

Outreach Ideas: Putting the Library in the Path of Its Users

I posted this message to the PUBLIB-L list not too long ago and decided to go ahead and add it here as well. My message was in response to a poster discussing his library's recent community survey and their findings from that survey.

==============
My response:
I had a random - though related - thought as I read Paul's email.

Paul said the community is interested in what the library is doing, but he also said that their primary means of reaching people isn't as much as they would like.

It occurred to me that it may be helpful to offer tailored information for some area business and outreach groups. For example, I was working out at my local fitness center (Curves - love it!) the other day thinking I really needed some good books with health recipes, meal plans, and other tips for planning healthy meals (and now would be a good time for it - gotta catch people before they give up on that New Year's resolution!). If my Curves trainer could have handed me a list of health/fitness related items at my local library or a flier promoting library services that would help me find health/fitness resources, I would be quite likely to go check them out.

Now, I know this won't work for most businesses and organizations. I know this wouldn't work in some communities. I know some businesses wouldn't be willing to keep a list of handouts/fliers.

But, what about local daycare centers? Maybe a promotional flier or a quarterly list of new resources to let parents know they can find parenting books, children's books, etc. would be welcome.

Maybe the local gardening club would like to know about the gardening resources at the library.

Or, if the library has access to an automotive repair database or repair manuals, maybe the local mechanics would like to know that.

Would a local travel agency be willing to let their customers know the library has travel guides available?

Maybe religious organizations in the area would appreciate finding out about any religious fiction or nonfiction in the library.

If there are community centers in your area that serve persons with disabilities or senior adults, it may help if they know the library has large print books, or Braille books, or books on CD, or that the library offers certain services for those groups.

OK, I'll stop rambling now. The ideas just started flowing, and I started typing. It just seems this could be an opportunity to reach users at their point of need. It is also a way to put library resources in their daily path. Their daily path may not be to the library (or they may not even know the library can help them with that particular thing). But, if we put something in their path to show how we can help them, maybe they'll try it out.

So, is anyone doing this type of outreach? How do you do it? Is it successful? Do people appreciate it?
===============

You can see the thread here at the PUBLIB Archives

No comments: