Saturday, March 8, 2008

BAM Challenge: February Review - In the Heart of the Valley of Love

Again, I'm a little late with my review for the Book-a-Month Challenge. But, hey, I'm still hangin' in there!

The February theme was Heart for Challenge #2. I read In the Heart of the Valley of Love by Cynthia Kadohata. The setting is Los Angeles about 50 years in the future. The government rations water and gas. Pollution and sickness are rampant. Loss of loved ones to death or police arrest is quite common. Yet, despite the gloom, we see how people find hope through the main character, Francie, a teenage girl on the brink of adulthood. She, her family, her friends, and her boyfriend still seek love and friendship in the midst of chaos and desolation. I am most impressed by Kadohata's ability to juxtapose hope and despair in the same sentence.

Two down, and ten to go! Bring on the March challenge! I have my book ready.

No comments: